Welcome To Jerry's Haven &Tell Talks. We are so happy you have joined us. We will be sending out a newsletter once a week and touch on different subjects as well as including some links, poetry, and all around Christian Fun. If there is anything that you would like to see please do let us know. We welcome any and all comments. 

In 2003, as a single parent of a sweet little four-year-old boy named Dylan and as a soldier in the Canadian military, I was going on deployment to the Middle East, although to a location that was considered safe. Having been recently divorced and dealing with the challenges of a shared custody agreement and being a completely devoted parent, I knew this would not be an easy thing to do. I truly believed I was helping our son by giving his dad a chance to be with him without me around, so he could focus on Dylan and provide a stable home for him, emotionally and physically.

I left home on December 31, 2003. I had been told weíd be gone anywhere from six to nine months to an undisclosed location in the Middle East. I had packed several self-addressed stamped envelopes with a blank piece of paper in each into Dylanís backpack so that he could draw pictures and mail them to me. One of my most vivid memories in my life was when I dropped Dylan off at his dadís house. I will always remember Dylan standing on the couch in the living room window, waving at me and blowing kisses with tears streaming down his face as I drove away. I donít know how I could see him or the road through my tears. I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest.
Once I was on the plane, I had a slight sense of relief because the decision was made and there was no turning back. At the same time and for the same reason, I had a sense of panic. I was already looking forward to receiving drawings from my wonderful little boy.

The first thing I did when we arrived was to look for a phone, so I could call Dylan. The camp was well set up with several phone booths. Hearing Dylanís voice through the phone lines made the distance seem less; still my heart literally ached. I wanted to reach out and hug him, but I knew it would be a long time until I could.

Even with my busy schedule and many work challenges, my mind never drifted far from thoughts of Dylan. We didnít live far from civilization, so I was able to buy cards, postcards, toys, clothes, and candy and send packages to Dylan, so he knew I was thinking of him. Prior to leaving, I taped Dylan ďreadingĒ along with his read-along stories. At my lowest times, especially when I had tried unsuccessfully day after day to talk with him on the phone, I would bring out my tape recorder and listen to his voice. Hearing him would bring sadness to my heart, but at the same time I felt a sense of pride for the great little person that he is and it made me feel closer to him. I had also videotaped us reading together and told him to ask his dad to play it for him when he was missing me.

On one of my trips into civilization, we came across a store where you could build your own teddy bear. I jumped at this and recorded my voice saying how much I missed him and loved him, and they sewed it up with a heart inside blessed with my kisses. I could hear his excitement through the phone lines when he received the bear.

I would get up at night to call because the time difference was ten hours. I also called the day care to find out how he was doing there. This was an arrangement I made before I left to ensure Dylanís well-being because my conversations with his dad were limited. They reported he was doing well and sent me updates. To Dylanís dadís credit, he did send several pictures that Dylan had drawn. Between the drawings and the photos I brought with me, my room was decorated in ďDylan wallpaper.Ē His face was the first Iíd see when I woke up and the last Iíd see before I fell asleep. I kept pictures of him at work as well, so I was never without him.

I was relieved to find out that we had an end date of six months, which was so much better than nine months. After almost four months, I was able to come home for three weeks. One of the happiest moments in my life was when Dylan was dropped off at my house, and he came running toward me with a huge smile on his face and his arms wide open. We held each other, neither of us wanting to let go. We had a bond that would withstand incredible challenges. We had a wonderful time together, but I could not help thinking, How am I going to leave him again to finish my tour?

Somehow I did it, with another tearful good-bye and wondering how many times a heart can break before it canít be healed. I just kept thinking, Only one and a half months to go. After I returned to the Middle East, time seemed to drag. I thought it would never end! But it did, thankfully, on June 23, 2004.

When I arrived home, I picked up Dylan at preschool. When he saw me, he had a look of relief on his face and literally fell into my arms. I vowed then and there that I would never leave him again.
I have since voluntarily released from the military to ensure Dylan and I will not be separated again. It was the best decision Iíve ever made. I have lost job security, but I have gained family security, which means so much more.

© From the Chicken Soup


The Model Life

Look Up

Free Patterns

Road Notes

GI Search

The Old Time Radio Network


Kitchen Signs

  1. Martha Stewart doesn't live here!

  2. Kitchen closed -- this chick has had it!

  3. I'm creative -- don't expect me to be neat too!

  4. So this isn't Home Sweet Home... Adjust!

  5. Ring Bell for Maid Service... If no answer do it yourself!

  6. I clean house every other day.... Today is the other day!

  7. If you write in the dust, please don't date it!

  8. I would cook dinner but I can't find the can opener!

  9. My house was clean last week, too bad you missed it!

  10. A clean kitchen is the sign of a wasted life.

Crock Pot Meat Loaf

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion (diced)
1/4 cup water

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into a meatloaf shape that will fit into your crock pot. Cut a strip of foil and place under the meatloaf in crock pot. Cut it long enough to cover the bottom and sides of meatloaf. Place meat loaf in crock pot and top with an additional 2 tablespoons ketchup. Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours.

Each week will offer our Members a custom "Sig Tag, Web Set, Or Special Graphic" free. This is only for our Mailing List Members. This week's offer is the below a custom Sig Tag.  Please request only one tag allow 4 days to recieve your tag. To request your Panda Tag Click Here. All request for this tag have to be emailed to me by 01-13-08. Be sure to include the name you want on the tag.


Jerry's Haven N Tell Talk's is sent out weekly if you would like to be added to our mailing list please email me. 


Back To Jerry's Haven N Tell